How to Get Your PA Driver's License

of 6
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Get your driver's license in PA with minimal trouble.
  PUB 178 (6-12) A Guide to Obtaininga PennsylvaniaJunior Learner’s PermitandJuniorDriver’sLicense  1 NEW DRIVERS Now that you’re almost 16 years of age or older, you’re probably thinking about getting a driver’slicense. This brochure has been written to make getting that license a little less complicated.Before you can be issued a driver’s license, you must first obtain a learner’s permit. At age 16, you areeligible for two classes of learner’s permits and driver’s licenses. ELIGIBLE CLASSES Class C  A Class C driver’s license will be issued to persons who have demonstrated their qualifications tooperate any vehicle with a gross weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less. The holder of a Class Cdriver’s license is also authorized to drive a motorized pedalcycle or a three-wheeled motorcycleequipped with an enclosed cab, but not a motorcycle. Class M  A Class M driver’s license will be issued to those persons 16 years of age or older who havedemonstrated their ability to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. If a person is qualified tooperate only a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, he/she will be issued a Class M driver’s license. If you test on a motor-driven cycle, an “8” restriction will appear on your driver’s license. Thisrestriction prohibits you from operating a motorcycle. If you test on a motorcycle with more thantwo wheels, a “9” restriction will appear on your driver’s license. This restriction prohibits you fromoperating a 2-wheeled motorcycle. FEES  You may apply for one or both Class C and Class M licenses. The total fees are $34.50 for a Class Cpermit and $49.50 for both Class C and Class M permits. The fee is $5.00 for a Class C permit and$10.00 for a Class M permit, plus $29.50 for your 4-year Pennsylvania Photo Driver’s License. APPLYING FOR YOURJUNIOR LEARNER’S PERMIT The first thing to do is obtain a copy of the Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual (Pub 95) and study it. Themanual is available from driver education teachers, any PennDOT Driver License Center, and you canvisit us on our website at next step is to get your physical examination. Take the Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180) (located at our Driver License Centers or on our website at the Forms and Publications link at the top of the page) to your physician to have the Physician’sReport of Examination section completed.  All information must be completed. Please note, this formmay be completed no earlier than 6 months prior to your 16th birthday and is only valid for 1 yearfrom the date of your physical examination. Your parent, guardian, person in loco parentis (who is 21 years of age or older) or spouse who is 18years of age or older must complete the Parent or Guardian Consent Form (DL-180TD) also locatedat our Driver License Centers or on our website at the Forms andPublications link at the top of the page. Proper identification is required.  2  When you are ready to be tested, you may go to the Driver License Center of your choice. At this timeyou will be given a vision screening and the knowledge test which will test your knowledge of roadsigns and the rules of the road. This information is found in the Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual. Pleasestudy this Manual prior to appearing at the examination center for your vision screening andknowledge test. When you go to the Driver License Center, you must take the following documents with you (Photocopies will not be accepted): 1.Completed Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (Form DL-180).2.Your completed Parent or Guardian Consent Form (DL-180TD).3.Proof of your date of birth and identification. Acceptable forms of identification can be found onthe reverse side of the Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (Form DL-180). Theseforms must be srcinals or certified copies. 4.Your Social Security Card.5.A check or money order, payable to “PennDOT,” in the appropriate amount. Cash cannot beaccepted. If you fail the knowledge test, the examiner will return the Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application and your Parent or Guardian Consent Form. You may take the test only one time on any day regardless of test location. Keep your forms in a safe place since you must bring them with you when you are tested again. After successful completion of the vision screening and Pennsylvania’s knowledge test, the examiner will give you a learner’s permit that is valid for 1 year. Upon receipt of your learner’s permit, you may begin to practice driving. You are required to complete at least 65 hours of behind-the-wheel skill-building, including no lessthan ten hours of nighttime driving and five (5) hours of bad weather driving, before taking your roadtest. This training will help teach you the skills necessary to become a good, safe driver. Be sure to readthe comprehensive guide to help teach new drivers to be safe drivers (Pub. 385 - How to Steer Them toSafe Driving) that will be given to you with your Learner’s Permit. Your Parent/Guardian will have tocertify that you have completed at least the minimum hours of behind-the-wheel training and at leastthe minimum hours of behind the wheel skill building. After you have waited the mandatory 6 months from your permit issue date and completed the 65hours of skill-building, you may make an appointment to take your road test. If your learner’s permitexpires or if you do not pass your road test after 3 tries, you may obtain a Non-Commercial Driver'sLicense/Identification Card/Learner's Permit Application to renew/replace/change/correct (DL-901).It is not necessary to have another physical exam unless 3 years have elapsed from the date of your lastphysical.Remember, when driving with your learner’s permit, you MUST be accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age or a parent, guardian, person in loco parentis or spouse who is at least18 years of age and licensed with the same or higher class vehicle that appears on your learner'spermit. That person must actually sit in the seat beside you, unless you are driving a motorcycle ormotor-driven cycle. (See motorcycle section.)  DRIVING ROAD TEST  After you have received your valid learner’s permit, you must wait the mandatory 6 months from yourpermit issue date and have a signed Certificate of Completion for the 65 hours of skill-building beforetaking your road test. When you are ready to take the road test, you can schedule it via the Driver & Vehicle Services If you do not have access to the Internet you can schedule your roadtest by calling 1-800-423-5542.  You will need to present the following items to the examiner prior to taking your road test. ãYour learner’s permit,ãThe completed certificate for 65 hours of behind-the-wheel training,ãThe valid registration card for the vehicle which you plan to drive for the test,ãProof that the vehicle is currently insured; andãThe valid driver’s license of the person accompanying you to the Driver License Center. If you do not bring the srcinal documents (not copies) listed, you will NOT be given the road test. If you fail, you may reschedule your road test, but may not take another road test for at least sevendays.If you have not taken or successfully completed the road test within 3 years of your physicalexamination date, you MUST start over with another Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application,have another physical exam and retake the knowledge test.If you successfully pass your on-road test you will be directed to the Photo License Center to have yourphoto taken. Your license will expire approximately four years later, the day after your birthday. JUNIOR DRIVER’S LICENSE INFORMATION  Your license will be a “junior driver’s license.” You are not permitted to drive between the hours of 11p.m. and 5 a.m. It is illegal to drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. on a junior driver license unless yourparent, guardian, person in loco parentis who is 21 year of age or older or spouse who is 18 years of ageor older accompanies you in the vehicle. The passenger must bea parent, guardian or spouse notan 18year old friend. In addition, drivers under the age of 18 cannot have more passengers in the vehiclethan the number of seat belts. The exception to this restriction is:  You may drive between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. if you are involved in a public or charitableservice, a member of a volunteer fire company or employed during those hours. In these cases, youmust carry a notarized affidavit or certificate of authorization from your employer, supervisor or firechief indicating your probable schedule of activities. This notarized affidavit, which must be kept with your junior driver’s license, will allow you to drive to and from work or on work relatedbusiness between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.   3
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks